Friday, May 25, 2007

Pool and Prejudice

It was a lesson to be learnt - that you must not be prejudiced against anything, even if your initial opinion towards any subject or action is negative, which itself may be due to various reasons.

In my case, there was no apparent reason for me to dislike pool other than the fact that pool parlours are generally dark and musty and have a pubbish atmosphere. Maybe that was the dominant reason. It caused me to reject pool as a dirty game and made me come up with false excuses to not play the game.
It's so similar to carrom, only you play it with a stick. So why do you have to pay and play? You may as well play carrom at home for free instead.

How naive of me to make such a comment. There is simply so much more that you can do in pool. Carrom doesn't even come close. However, this naivete prevented me from playing for nearly five years while my friends were enjoying the game thoroughly.

The reason I finally started playing can be regarded as an extremely silly reason. When I got placed at Nvidia, I asked the HR what sort of entertainment was available in the office. I was expecting TT tables, tennis courts et al. But all I got was pool tables for an answer. I was appalled! However, I resolved that if I had to make maximum use of the facilities available, I had to learn to play pool. And so it started. I slowly discovered the game. Initially, its a little tough to learn, but once I got the hang of it, there was no looking back. Nowadays , I'm playing pool almost daily given that its vacation time.

And it was a good lesson learnt. Never underestimate the value of anything or form an opinion on something without trying it out first. You must burn your hands in the fire, even if it is painful sometimes.

1 comment:

Mojo Rising said...

Finally.... Hope you keep up the good work... happy to know that you will atleast try and find out for yourself.... But given the fact that the global warming shit was written after this I might be mistaken......