Thursday, January 31, 2008

A little hand and a Hoola-Hoop

Scene - Mayo Hall Junction, MG Road
Time - around 9:00 a.m. every weekday
I'm sitting snug in the driver's seat of my swift waiting for the light to go green. Its a long traffic signal; so, doing my bit to reduce global warming, I switch off the engine.
A little girl comes and stands in the space between a couple of cars. She brings out a small hoola hoop (that ring through which they can wriggle through and do some tricks, if I am mistasken with the name). An even younger boy, of maybe six-seven years, holds in his hand a rough contraption that could double as a drum for lack of anything better. And he starts beating it. No rhythm to speak of, but just some background music to help provide an ambience to the girl's performance.
The girl begins her performance. A few cartwheels and somersaults. Then she wriggles through the hoop by twisting her body through it (the hoop is extremely small you see). A short forty second performance. The traffic light is red for about 120 seconds. She has to complete her routine in that time. After that, both the kids walk around to each car and tap the glasses of the cars asking the driver or the co passenger for some small alms.
The girl makes a very sorry face. Sometimes, I give in and hand over a few coins. ( Generally, we dont think twice to pay 200 bucks for a multiplex ticket nowadays. But, now suddenly the few coins seems like an amount to reckon with. ) Now, this kid is pretty intelligent. If I hand over a few coins one day, the next few days she wont even ask you. She actually remembers your face.
Now am I stingy, I reflect? A wave of guilt washes over me. At her age, I was a happy kid with no cares in the world and spent worry free days in a great school and cosy evenings at home. At the same age, these kids actually had to work to fend for themselves. To get a square meal. No parents to provide for them probably.
Their courage was admirable. They had no other choice. Or did they? Had they been offered a seat in some government school which they ran away from? Maybe she felt the skills (of education) were of no use to her in her life. At the end of the day, she still needed a meal to survive the night and see the light of day tomorrow. Or then again, maybe she did not even know the concept of a school. I would never know. I only knew that by giving in to her pleadings and giving her money, I was encouraging her to continue this. Maybe now it was ok. But what ten twenty years from now? Continue with this forever. But the next ten years is probably far from her mind. She would probably think as far ahead as dinner for the night. Period. Then again, if I didn't give her the money, someone else would. She wouldn't be convinced into dropping this just because I refused. This was pointless.
I continue the same routine to this day. Sometimes I oblige, on others I just ignore her. Simply because I cannot decide which is the best course of action. I remember the time when there used to be a kid hanging in front of the National College, Jayanagar Coffee Day. This kid would try to extract money from the clientele of the cafe by making up a melancholy face and an excuse of not having eaten for the last twenty four hours. At first, I felt sorry for him. But then, i noticed on the second or third time that the kid was actually acting. He could change between his real mood (which was quite happy and satisfied) to a tear-stricken face in the blink of an eye. He knew from experience that the sorry face would get more takers. This chap was also equally street smart. He would always zero in on the female clientele about to enter Coffee Day. He knew that girls had a softer heart and were more likely to reward him earlier. He would even shed a year or two while he beseeched that he hadn't had a decent meal all day and tug on the girl's shirt or jeans until she relented from sympathy or just to get rid of the clinging boy. Once my friend Satya tried to be I don't know which, a saint or a wise ass. He asked the kid why he was not going to school and offered to personally enroll him somewhere. The kid retorted -
' If you get me something to eat from that bakery, do it and I'll be thankful. But i don't need your advise' - in kannada.
Satya relented and bought him a bun to eat. So the point is, maybe the kid was too comfortable in his role now. It definitely beat sitting in a school and learning something which he would probably see as useless. But I guess, at that age, if I had been given a choice, I might have decided against studying too.
Finally, the point of this article - well I guess I dont know what is the point. I was just trying to fit into the shoes of those kids. They may not be sad and depressed. For them, seeing a meal at the end of the day might bring the same amount of joy as buying a spanking mobile phone for me. But that's beside the point. They deserve more than that. I thank my stars for having had a good life till now and it makes me believe in the concept of Karma to some extent. But for now, I promise myself that when I have more money, I will definitely do something to make the lives of such kids better, so that they can have a brighter future. Wishful thinking, but I have hope and faith in myself to do something good for others.

10 comments:

Loocious Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loocious Fox said...

I couldn't help but smile when i read the mention of my name & that day the fateful (yet enlightening) day when that incident happened....
After adequete contemplation, i've realised that having more money in life only gives u the option of having more choices- shoes,clothes,food et cetera. A wise man is the one who realises that these choices really don't matter/alter his way of living (ie,state of mind). Hence he denounces these choices.
In my opinion, the good thing to do woould be to educate them(the kids/urchins) on this fact- do u or don't u want the luxury of having so many choices in life..
The wiser of the kids would say 'no'.

Slow Sprinter said...

@ loocious

Yes, it is easy to declare what is wiser. But is wiser what you want. At the end of the day, we are all hedonists and mortals, not god men or saints who are happy spending the days chanting on the Himalayas.

Loocious Fox said...

Well,every normal person learns from his/her experiences which makes him/her wiser.. theoretically, it should lead to the accumulation of some wisdom.. this does not necessarily make one a saint.. rather ,just a well informed person who gone one step further in finding his own peace.. the moment u realize that it's this u r striving for, things become simpler and difficulties become easier to handle..

Mojo Rising said...

Hmm..... Complicated da.... You can never try to fit in that mindset (in their shoes) coz it requires a completely different set of circumstances and environment.... In fact, as much as people deny they are shaped and changed by their environs....

Slow Sprinter said...

@mojorising

Yes in fact, I agree with you that the environment has a huge impact on how your life is shaped, atleast such extreme circumstances.

Mojo Rising said...

@slow sprinter
Please do something about your header man... It has now blown up and takes like 10 seconds to load......

Slow Sprinter said...

@mojosrising

cant help it man. I like that pic too much. So until I find something else... Anyway it is your company that you should belt for not providing adequate bandwidth. If you can't download my header, how will you download movies and videos. Besides, the blog will display first and only then the header loads.

Czar said...

The concept of a bright future is subjective my dear friend. Why is it that you think being in your shoes would be remotely close to a bright future ?

Recently we had a really long conversation amongst ourselves here, and though nothing came out of it, at least I learnt that we are essentially conditioned to being what we are. There is no right or wrong, or good or bad about one's life. Everything is subjective.

Lets travel, and find out more.

Slow Sprinter said...

@czar

It is kind of freaky that a friend and myself were talking about the concept of right and wrong at exactly the same instance that you sent out this comment yesterday.

I agree with you that the concept of right and wrong is entirely subjective. I am not contending this statement at all.

I was talking more about the basic necessities of life such as a comfortable home, loving parents and healthy food which I think is a basic right to every individual. Beyond that I am not at all implying that luxury / commodities = happiness. No sir, I am not implying that at all.

I am still of a strong belief that while street-smartness cannot be cast away as useless knowledge, a proper education is essential for a youngster to hone his ability to make decisions for himself and fend for himself later in life. But that is just my opinion. You may choose to disagree...